Family pic

Family pic

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Defined by Culture

There are so many cultures in the world today. Both cultures we are familiar with and probably cultures we have never even heard of. There’s cultures that come from nations all over the world, cultures that are formed within specific groups and cultures that we form within our families. It is typically through cultures the way we distinguish or separate ourselves from others. We define ourselves by our culture, by what group we belong to. Take a moment to think about the culture you’ve embraced in your own life. What traditions have you incorporated into your life? Do these traditions and your culture define you? Where did these traditions come from? Do you believe your culture is better than others? Is it more valid than other cultures?
What exactly makes a culture valid and who should it be valid to? I think an important question to ask ourselves is, “Are my traditions and what I believe based in truth?” What I mean by that is based in true principles that teaches us to be good and to do good, not just to those within our culture, but to those outside it as well? Does it strengthen the family system? Does it bring us closer as people? If so, then it is good. I believe that all cultures have something to teach us, that no one is more important than another as we are all different. Our differences isn’t a bad thing, it is a blessing to have multiple perspectives on how to live life so that we learn from each other. I do also believe that while all cultures have some truth, not all of it is true. I’ve seen both good and bad in a variety of cultures and I feel it is important to take the good from them all and leave the bad behind. I consider myself a multicultural person because I don’t categorize myself with one particular culture, my goal is to be close with all people.
In our society, when we are labeled or placed in a specific ethnic group, there is an expectation that we are to act as such, a stereotype if you will. My whole life being I was told that because I was an “African American” I had to act a certain way, I had to be a certain way and that if I wasn’t I was acting “white.” My mom always told me that it’s important to learn about my culture, to understand what “our” people went through. But it never felt like “my” culture and they weren’t “my” people. I found a scripture in the Book of Mormon that helped through this struggle, it’s found in 2 Nephi 26:33 and it says,
“For none of these iniquities come of the Lord; for he doeth that which is good among the children of men; and he doeth nothing save it be plain unto the children of men; and he inviteth them all to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female; and he remembereth the heathen; and all are alike unto God, both Jew and Gentile.”
I turn your attention to where it says that “all are alike unto God.” We are all the same to Him, there is no race or color, we are all His children and we are all equal. I tell myself and I tell others that before I was labeled “black” I was a child of God. My culture is His and I identify myself through Him.

For many of you out here, you probably have traditions you have inherited from your families that you will take to your own future family and your kids will do the same. Things that you grew up with, things you just know to do since that is the way you were taught. I realize that for me, it will be important that when I have my own family to start from scratch. I want to create my own patterns and traditions and I want to base them in truth, the truth of the Gospel which I live. I hope to start a new trend if someone doesn’t beat me to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Effects of Divorce